Flyprat

Go Back   Flyprat > TripReports

Notices

Old 19-03-2005, 18:06   #1
Christian
ScanFlyer Blue

Default ARN-ORD-SFO och tillbaka

Trip report ARN-ORD-SFO and back + pics

It all started in December 2004. SAS had an advent calendar with new offers every day ‘til Christmas. New York had already passed, as one of the first offers, I didn’t join the list until mid-December. I swore to myself, if SAS offers a trip to the US I would take it. And the 20th December, there it was, ARN-ORD for 3500 SEK, about $500. Within hours I booked the trip 10th to 13th of March. A few days later, searched on different airlines website if they could offer me a good deal to NYC. Pretty good prices, but nothing exiting to fly, B-735 with CO, MD-80 with AA, A-320 with UA, so I looked to the other coast. SFO could be cool to see I thought. Looked at www.wideroe.no if they could give me a nice price. And they sure did. With UA I could fly a Triple 7 to SFO and a B-757 back. I first looked at the dates 11th to 12th March, for about $260 . Fine with that almost wanted to order that, I figured that the trip to SFO would start 2,5 hours after I landed at ORD, so I looked for prices to SFO the very same dates I booked to SFO, and found out that I could fly Triple Seven all the way. The price couldn’t get any better $230. “Alright” was the first thing I said. Booked it via SAS, almost the same price, they wanted $240 of me. I booked that flight on the 30th of December. Friday the 7th of January, I got my paperticket, printed by SAS. A few days later I made a reservation at the Marriott hotel near by SFO airport. For three nights they wanted $439. I did the order thru the airliners.net homepage, it went as smoothly as possible.

10th March 2005

SK945
Departure gate F62
LN-RKH
A-330-343X
STD STA ETD ATD TOFF ETA TDWN ATA
10MAR ARN ORD 1015 1220 1017 1039 1232 1240

Arriving gate M15

I arrived at ARN around 8am, checked in via I self service kiosk and with some help from a SAS employee. It worked out just fine to check in my baggage all the way to SFO. After that I roamed around the terminal. Surfed the net one last time before I left. Then I made a horrible discovery, I had forgot my wristwatch at home, made a call home, and luckily my father was at home, so he could drive out and leave it to me. I only live some 15 min drive from ARN. After I got that, I went through the security, worked all fine with me. No problem what so ever. Only was that I enter via the B-pier, when I was supposed go through the F-pier, but it was so much people there, so it was just strategic from me. Tip for you all there!!!

Then I started to move slowly to the gate, already at 09:30 they made out the “go to gate”-call, when I came to the passport control it was full of people, mostly Chicago, and some Newark passengers. But, the queue went fast. And there was a small queue at the gate were they checked the passport and boarding card there. I got a green Visa Waiver-card as well.

The boarding went fast, took my seat 33H, and sat next to an american guy who slept all throughout flight. Pushback was a little bit late, some 10 minutes. The captain started the engines, and we slowly taxied out to rwy 19R. We hade the AROS departure, which means that after takeoff we made a right turn, and passing over Västerås, The AROS VOR. Then we continued westward, slightly over Oslo, and Bergen, and entered the Atlantic ocean. But it was all cloudy between Norway and Iceland, so no pictured there. Didn’t even have my camera in my lap until we flew over Greenland. It just cleared over Greenland, and I could take some awesome shots of the scenery.
Here’s a picture of that

The meal I got, was special food, due to nut allergic, what I got was chicken, and rice, with some salsa saus, actually very tasty.

The movies they showed was: The Incredibles and Spoongebob Squarepants. I think they showed a few others, but these were the ones I saw. And the mapwiev of course.

Then we came into Canadian airspace and land, It looked so deserted, and so remote.
A pictures of that

Second serving started. All the others got Pizza, I got a very dry sandwich, I ate it only because I was hungry.
Some moments later the descent into ORD started, we came from northwest, and followed the coastline south of Lake Michigan, made some right turns and ended up to the northeast, and made an 90 + 90 degree turn, and landed on 14L (I think). We landed in a very snowy Chicgao, and very turbulent air. Which I only thought was fun. Taxied a short while, and made complete stop at stand M15.

Now the thing I had nightmares about, transit to terminal 1.

When I exited the aircraft, I haden’t filled in my Visa Waiver completely, so I walked slowly to the immigration, hoping someone will help me. I stood at one of the pillars, when I American young goy came up to me ask to borrow my pen. Which he could. And he helped me out with the card. Before he went to his queue I said: “hopfully its better weather in San Francisco”, and “Warmer” he answer that with. Then I heard

-Are you going to San Francisco?”

And there was a girl, looking at me

-Yeah, I am, are you?

And she was a girl from The Netherlands, whom should visit her boyfriend that lived in SFO. We made company all the way to the gate, which I thought was great, some one I could talk to!

The immigration went fine, and fast, I got my stamp in the passport, picture and my fingerprints were taken. Got out in the arrival hall, my luggage has been taken of from the conveyer belt. So just had to take it, and leave it after the last check, and I sent my luggage to my second flight to SFO.

Went up to the train to take me to Terminal 1, the girl I met in the immigration line came up to me after a while.

We came to the Terminal 1 pretty fast, and the security line took very long time, but when it was my time to go thru the security, it went fast. I got a little surprised over that I had to take of my shoes, and scan them too.

I really liked the tunnel at terminal 1 to the C-concourse, spacey lightings and sounds.

The boarding has just started when we arrived at the gate. At this time I lost the girl I was with, she had to go to the toilets prior to boarding, so instead of waiting for her, I boarded the aircraft.

UA 149
N794UA
B-777-222ER
Departure gate C16
STD 14:55
STD 17:26
ATA 15:20
ATA 17:20
Arrival Gate 82

I was one of the last confirmed passengers to board. The UA-staff started to call up some stand-by passengers while I was boarding. I was greeted by a gentleman in the door, and said “Good afternoon sir, how are you today?” I’ve never been met by this kindliness when I boarded an aircraft. I approached my seat which was 35J, I had to ask one of the steward, if it was ok to take photos during takeoff. That was no problem he answered.

We pushed back a little bit late, got some de-icing over the wings and stabilisers, the captain informed us about this, and told us that it could be interesting to see. After that we joined the queue to rwy 32L, it was only 3 aircraft before us, so it went pretty quickly. Lineup via the T10 intersection and the takeoff was very fast. After takeoff the flaps were extracted very fast, and we climbed to FL350 first, and later on up to FL370 and FL390.
Pictures from the departure

The IFE started, well, my IFE was on from gate to gate: Channel 9. I scanned throughout the other channels, and watched a little bit of The Incredibles, already seen that, so I scanned a bit more. I found VH1 all access Metallica, which I watched until the end, only 30 min or so. The serving started. Food for purchase, I bought a wrap, very tasty, but I was full after only one of them. There were two. I payed the food with some 1 dollar bills that have been in Sweden since 1977, I asked if they were still valid. The steward started to laugh when I said why. And yes, they were still valid.
We passed over the awesome scenery over the Rocky Mountains and Nevada desert. Here some photos of it.

We started to descent little bit slowly for the landing, and we got cleared for a visual approach for rwy 28R. Here some photo of that.

The landing went fine, and a short taxi to our gate 82, we had to make a brief stop before we could dock at the gate. Didn’t catch why.
Before I left the airplane I asked a steward, if it was ok to take a look in the cockpit, and take some photos of it. “yes of course, it’s up front there” one of them answered. I got up to the first class, asked another stewardess if I could have a chat with the pilots. “yes” she answered too. But the pilots had already left the aircraft, I asked again if I could take some photos in the cockpit, “yeah go ahead” she answered. I took up my camera, and just about to press the trigger, when the stewardess said “Sorry sir, you’re not allowed to take photos, I’m so sorry, it’s due to 9-11”. “ok, I understand that” I said and put down my camera in my bag. “Could I get the registration of aircraft instead?” I asked. “Why do you want that?” another steward asked me. I almost said, for pure fun there. I don’t really remember exactly what I said, but I got. From what I could se it was located to the left behind the cockpit door, pretty low.

I exited the aircraft, and took a very bad photo of the aircraft. Those who flown from gate 82 at SFO, probably understand why. Here that is

So now I was in San Francisco, went to the baggage claim, had to wait a long time for my bag, even though I saw my bag being loaded onboard the aircraft. Now how often is that? Well, my bag arrived after a while, and I headed out to the airport hotel shuttle bus stop. The signing to that place wasn’t to very good, so I got lost, but I found my way, but I had to ask an airport employee for it. Had to wait some 20 min there until the bus came to take me to Marriott. Heres picture of the hotel and the sunrise from my window

On the Friday the 11th, which was very nice indeed, like +86 degrees F. I was only in Bayfront Park and photographed planes, most pictures were ruined by heathaze, but some were lucky. On Saturday the 12th I took the BART to SFO-town and went from The BART station at Embarcadero down to the Fisherman’s Warf and took the boat over to Alcatraz, very exciting to actually see that.

On my way back to my hotel I saw this sign. As you probably know by now I’m a big Metallica fan. Has this something to do with Metallica, cause I started to humble on this song the rest of the day

And if not, what is it?

And ofcourse, I had to explore the hills, I climbed up for an hill just to take this picture

13th march

UA 132
Departure gate 82
N795UA
B-777-222 ER
STD 06:30
ATD 06:28
STA 12:30
ATA 12:10

I woke up at 3:15, took a quick shower, and made a call home to mom, to say I was on my way home soon. By 04:00 I checked out from the hotel, the Airport shuttle bus was waiting for me, I boarded and the bus drove by the Hyatt hotel to pick up some passengers there as well. After that we drove to the domestic terminal. I was there a little bit early, the check-in didn’t begin until 04:30, so I had to wait. The check-in went just fine, the UA-staff checked in my bag all the way to ARN. Perfect! But she didn’t check in myself…

The security went fine here also. I had to take off my shoes again. And at this point I was very hungry and thirsty so I bought myself a sandwich and a bottle of water in the restaurant area. And waited until the clock was 05:50 when boarding was due to begin. On my way to the gate I bought some SF souvenirs.

There was a lot of people at the gate when the boarding started, first seating 1, then seating 2 and last seating 3, and that’s were I sat. I boarded the aircraft. I wasen’t greeted by the same enthusiasm as on the previous flight. I was a little bit disappointed about that. I took my seat 37C, isle seat in the middle row. Very nice seat, even though I prefer window seat. It was a full flight and boarding was complete pretty fast. We pushed back 2 minutes early, the captain started the engines and we started to taxi to 01R. We had to wait at the holdingpoint for some while. But the takeoff was just awesome. Didn’t know what the captain did, but 30-40 sec after takeoff, all passengers reacted for a very funny felling in their stomach, what I think he did was that he first levelled out and then gained altitude very short after. Just awesome!!!
The flight went on fine. Nothing fun on the IFE, (no channel 9) so I watched “After Sunset” with Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek. Very fun movie, after that I followed the map, in the map view. One thing I noticed was that the 777 is a very fast aircraft, don’t know it was because of tailwind, but we flew over 1000 km/h in GS for a long period, on both trips actually. Didn’t take a photo of that sorry. No photos on this flight at all actually.
We were served some crackers, which tasted like gingerbread, very tasty. And something to drink as well. The descent started, and we landed on, what I think was rwy 27R, because we made a very short taxi into the gate. The landing was very rough, some guy behind me shouted out “Now that was a landing”. I thought that was funny. Deboarding went quickly, manage to get the registration on the aircraft this time also, I bet if I asked I would probably would have get a look in the cockpit also, since I asked the captain. But I didn’t. I regret that now.

Now I just had to take me to Terminal 5 again. And that went just fine. Took the train, and I arrived very early. The check-in for SAS opened at 13:00, I was there at 12:40. Had to stand in line for a long time, probably 30 minutes or so, additional to the 20 min I waited for them to open. But as usual, when it was my turn, it all went speedy. Got a nice stamp on my boarding card, the ARIS stamp. and I was cleared to leave US.

After check-in I went straight thru the security, even though it was like 3 hours until departure. Didn’t shop anything, I was tired, and I just wanted to go home. The security went fine also here. And I had to take of my shoes again. After that I went the gate M15 and waited and waited.

SK 946
Departure gate M15
LN-RKH
A-330-313X
STD STA ETD ATD TOFF ETA TDWN ATA
1625 0745 1635 1651 0810 0819

Boarding started some 40 min before departure, and as usual it was panic at the gate. All at the same time. I went onboard when they called up my seating area. I took my seat 28H, second last seat in the third cabin. Sat next to a Swedish man, didn’t speak to very much with him. He offered me Aftonbladet, Swedish newspaper, after he was finished with it, but he kept the sport section.

At stand with BMI Star Alliance A-330 beside

Some minutes before STD the cabincrew announced that the doors was closed. All we had to wait for now was pushback clearance. As you can se we was some minutes late, we got our pushback, captain started the engines, and we taxied to 32L, and lined up via the T10 intersection again.
My view of the departure

The engines were started and flap setting 2 were set

And short after we were airborne, you can see our shadow

IFE on this flight was some movies, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spoongebob Squarepants, Miss Sweden, Shall we Dance. I only watched Spoongbob, darn he’s funny. Tried to watch Miss Sweden too. But I couldn’t. Not that the film was lame, it was just that I was so bored, I just wanted to be at home, and I was tired. And I couldn’t sleep during the whole flight.

The takeoff wasn’t to very special for me I thought at the time, we flew straight ahead for 1 or 2 minutes, and then turned right to north, and over Lake Michigan. The dinner started, since I’m allergic to nuts I got special food. I identified the food as fish with rice, totally tasteless. During dinner it started to get dark, and it became dark very fast, awesome lighting the sun gave us to watch. Especially the one who was seated on the left side. We continued up to the Canadian border, and up to Ungava bay, and passed the south tip of Greenland, passed over Reykjavik, or somewhere around it. And after that we flew straight to Oslo. It started to be light some 30 minutes before crossed the Norwegian coastline, which was just beautiful, took some photos of it. We passed north of Oslo, did actually see Oslo Gardermoen airport. After that the breakfast begun. Special food here aswell, but it looked the same as the food my neighbour got.
Oslo Gardermoen

The descent started, and we flew straight to Arlanda, made some turns, even a complete 360, somewhere around Uppsala, and after that headed in to land on 19R, I was hoping for 19L in the last, but it was very bad weather at ARN, so we got the long runway 19R. Exited via the Yankee Charlie exit (highspeed turnoff). And taxied to F28 on taxiway Yankee and X-ray. Parked at the gate 30 minutes late.

Long queue in the passport control. No wonder because only three desk were open, when the Newark and the Chicago flight came at the same time.

And now this exciting trip was over. And it has been just what I thought it should be. I recommend you all to stay at the Marriott hotel. The service was perfect.

Jag hoppas alla bilder å sånt fungerar. Skrev den primärt för a-net, så därför är den på engelska

/Christian

Menzies Aviation Arlanda
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 18:44   #2
OMW
Deleted user

Default Re: ARN-ORD-SFO och tillbaka

Wow! Fine bilder. Moro med rapport fra "nærområdet"

Gikk du opp trappene mot Telegraph Hill?
OMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 18:49   #3
Christian
ScanFlyer Blue

Nej, det gjorde jag inte, var bara till Alcatraz, sen traskade jag runt lite omkring Fishermans Warf, sen åkte jag tillbaka till hotellet.

/Christian

Menzies Aviation Arlanda
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 20:11   #4
Blubird
ScanFlyer Mile High Club

Strøken rapport og fine bilder!
Blubird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 23:13   #5
Dag Viking
ScanFlyer Mile High Club

Bra rapport! ARN-ORD er min favorittrute...

Litt pirk, er det ikke 330-343X? Ser du har brukt både 343 og 313.
Det er 340 som har benevnelsen 313X hos SAS
Old 20-03-2005, 09:44   #6
EB
ScanFlyer Inventory

Kjempebra rapport... Vekker absolutt reiselysten. Two `s up!!!
EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 16:34   #7
Savipix
ScanFlyer Rusty

Bravo!

Nu blev jag verkligen sugen på en intercont tur... bara 109 dagar kvar.

Savipix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 22:21   #8
OMW
Deleted user

Quote:

And if not, what is it?
Gata ble forresten kalt dette pga. at militæret anla et våpenbatteri der for ca. 150 år siden. De hadde i alle fall planer om det.
:
OMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 01:11   #9
tosfreight
ScanFlyer Silver

Artig lesning! Veldig bra!
tosfreight is offline   Reply With Quote