PDA

View Full Version : Tidenes tapere

LN-MOW
04-11-2005, 21:45
Kommentar i Bloomberg:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_pauly&sid=aRsvdu NC.LUQ

This must be the dumbest American industry ever. For the past 58 years, or ever since their profit-and-loss records have been kept, U.S. airlines have rung up a cumulative net loss of $14 billion. A loser for all time.

ANX
05-11-2005, 21:30
Still, aberrant as those events may be, they don't absolve the industry. Airlines keep making the same mistake: overloading the skies with planes and then cutting fares to unprofitable levels to fill them. ''Every 10 years, beginning in the 1970s, the industry has had a crisis,'' says Julius Maldutis, an independent analyst who has seen them all.

På 70-tallet klaget jo flyselskapene i USA over å være holdt for stramt i tømmene, så de fikk sin "deregulation" i 1978(?). Dermed var det fritt frem, og mange dollar har gått i dass underveis. Pax kan oppleve å stå med billett til et selskap som plutselig gikk nedenom. Det VAR en grunn til at myndighetene tidligere ga løyver i henhold til pax-grunnlag etc.

Given the industry's sorry history, it seems unlikely the airlines will ever cut their capacity enough. They'll still feel forced to match the low fares of the latest upstart -- a foolish reaction since the only low-fare airline to succeed over time has been Southwest Airlines Co.

Men forbrukerne er jo heldige som til enhver tid kan surfe på de billigste prisene fra døgnflue-selskapene...

:devot: