PDA

View Full Version : Flying the unfriendly skies

LN-MOW
15-09-2008, 02:02
En reporter fra NYTimes reiser 'undercover' som flyvertinne ..

Over the next 11 hours, they will fly from Dallas to New York and back again, a routine that is clearly second nature to them. In all, the three represent nearly 70 years of flight attendant experience.

And today I am one of them.

In a behind-the-scenes look at the other side of air travel, I donned a navy suit and starched white shirt earlier this summer and became a flight attendant for two days. With the cooperation of American Airlines, I first went to flight attendant training school at the company’s Flagship University in Fort Worth, Tex., where I learned what to do in an onboard emergency, from how to open an emergency exit window on a 777 aircraft (it’s heavier than you may think) to operating a defibrillator (there are pictures to help you get the pads in the right place). I then flew three legs in two days: a round-trip journey between Dallas and New York, and then back to New York the next day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/travel/14Airline.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

“Who would have thought, after 30 years, that we’d be a flying 7-Eleven,” Becky Gilbert, a three-decade veteran of the industry told me during a break in our training session in Fort Worth. “You know, I mean we used to serve omelets and crepes for breakfast, and now it’s ‘Would you like to buy stackable chips or a big chocolate chip cookie for $3?’ ”'

EB
15-09-2008, 09:35
Utrolig godt skrevet - tar tid å lese - men absolutt verdt å få med seg hele teksten!

Andrev
15-09-2008, 09:41
Søren, er helgen over allerede? Rakk ikke å lese den der, som jeg hadde tenkt. Takk for påminnelsen! :-)

jcnorway
15-09-2008, 09:55
Ikke særlig glamorøst nei... Med slike forhold så er det vel ingen nyere generasjon kabinbesetninger som kommer til å holde ut i 30 år. Ser for meg at man fort kan gå på en smell.

MD11
15-09-2008, 10:50
Meget bra artikkel på alle måter, takk for den LN-MOW. Tillater meg å utheve dette avsnittet.....

“People need to understand that the rules of social order do not go away when you get on an airplane,” Tim added, his Texan twang kicking up a notch as he laid down his commandments. “You cannot have sex on an airplane. When you purchase a ticket, that does not give you the privilege of yelling at me. It does not give you the privilege of sitting anywhere you want to sit. They assign you a seat. I do not have an extra airplane in my pocket if my flight’s delayed.”

FlightDeck
15-09-2008, 21:18
meget bra og interessant lesning. løfter den opp slik at flere kan få lese.